Monday, April 18, 2005

I've rediscovered an old trick

A couple of days ago, I looked at my first illustration. There's a brick wall in it. I'm doing these illustrations in watercolor, so I have to be careful how I apply the color so that I don't fill in the white space that is supposed to be mortar between the bricks. I thought, "I don't have any frisket to protect the spaces. Then I thought, "What can I use besides frisket?" I didn't have any and it wouldn't be logical for me to wait until I could go to Hobby Lobby to buy some. After mulling over it a bit, I had an AHA! moment. I remembered back to my 2nd grade art teacher showing us how to paint with watercolors. She'd used a crayon to protect areas she didn't want covered in watercolor. AHA! So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a box of crayons for $0.48. HA! I made sure they were good and waxy too. Expensive crayons aren't nearly waxy enough. The cheaper the better. Ahhhh. There. I got that little rediscovery out of my system.

I've also gotten an offer to do some freelance work for a local publisher. It's just a matter of the publisher and I working out a time when we can meet. This is an exciting time in my life! God is still in the blessing business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home